Introducing West Virginia Penitentiary’s Photography Tour! This is not a guided tour; you can roam at your own pace and leisure.
June, July, & August
- Open 7 days a week
- Tuesday – Friday tours are on the hour from 10:00a until 3:00p
- Saturday – Monday tours are on the hour from 10:00a until 4:00p
- Masks are required
- Limited tour size – Please purchase tickets online
- Monday tours are NOT wheelchair or stroller accessible
September 1st – September 20th
- Open Tuesday through Sunday
- Tours begin on the hour from 11:00a until 4:00p
- Closed on Mondays
- Senior 55 years of age and older
- Child Ages 6 to 16
Historical Day Tours
Your 90-minute guided tour consists of astonishing history, a touch of art, cold hard facts, and an insight into the justice system.
- Walk through this Gothic-style structure in amazement and wonder why you did not visit sooner!
- Visit the recreation yards, both visitation rooms, and the new cafeteria that resulted from the riot of 1986.
- Take a walk through our cell blocks, “The Alamo,” which once housed the most dangerous and violent inmates, and “New Wall,” where you just might get LOCKED UP! Cameras are allowed and encouraged!!
History Mystery Monday Tours
- This tour is a fast-paced tour that involves climbing several staircases and covers a large portion of areas not accessible Tuesday through Sunday.
- This tour is NOT wheelchair or stroller accessible.
- We do not recommend this tour for younger children.
- The History Mystery Monday tour focuses on the historical and paranormal aspects of the facility.
- Only available on Mondays during the months of June, July, and August.
- In accordance with our Governor’s guidelines, face masks are now mandatory as per an executive order beginning at midnight on Tuesday, July 7th, 2020. Masks are required for anyone 9 years of age and older. **These guidelines could change at any time.**
- There is no heat or air conditioning throughout our facility. Our facility will be extremely HOT in the summer and extremely COLD in the winter. Please dress according to the weather.
- You may bring non-alcoholic beverages with you for hydration.
- No open-toed shoes or heels please.
- The front gate is opened 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the first tour, and locked at the same time the last tour begins.
- Pets are welcome as long as they are friendly toward other animals and people, quiet, and if they make a “mess,” it is up to you for clean up.
- All tickets and payments are non-refundable. If you cannot make your scheduled tour, please call 304-845-6200. We are happy to transfer your tickets to another date or time during the operating season. History Mystery Monday tickets may only be transferred to another Monday. Tuesday through Sunday tickets may only be transferred to another Tuesday through Sunday.
- Due to our limited tour capacity of 20 persons per tour, please book your tickets online!!