Introducing West Virginia Penitentiary’s Photography Tour! This is not a guided tour; you can roam at your own pace and leisure.
- Historical Day Tours – Tuesday through Sunday / 10:00a – 4:00p
- History Mystery Mondays – Mondays only / 10:00a – 4:00p
- Tours begin on the top of the hour
- Closed July 4th!
- Senior 55 years of age and older
- Child Ages 6 to 16
Historical Day Tours
Your 90-minute guided tour consists of astonishing history, a touch of art, cold hard facts, and an insight into the justice system.
- Walk through this Gothic-style structure in amazement and wonder why you did not visit sooner!
- Visit the recreation yards, both visitation rooms, and the new cafeteria that resulted from the riot of 1986.
- Take a walk through our cell blocks, “The Alamo,” which once housed the most dangerous and violent inmates, and “New Wall,” where you just might get LOCKED UP! Cameras are allowed and encouraged!!
History Mystery Monday Tours
- This tour is a fast-paced tour that involves climbing several staircases and covers a large portion of areas not accessible Tuesday through Sunday.
- This tour is NOT wheelchair or stroller accessible.
- We do not recommend this tour for younger children.
- The History Mystery Monday tour focuses on the historical and paranormal aspects of the facility.
- Only available on Mondays during the months of June, July, and August.
- History Mystery Mondays cost $16 per person.
- We do not offer discounts for this tour.
- Call our office at 304-845-6200 to arrange your group tour. Group tours are not a private tour.
- Group discounts are offered for groups of 20 or more.
- Discounts are valid for our guided historical day tours and not offered for History Mystery Mondays, Paranormal Investigations, or Halloween events.
General Information About Day Tours
- Our main office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00a – 4:00p. Our office is closed Saturday and Sunday. Phone calls are welcome. Please leave a voicemail. You may also email in[email protected] with any questions.
- There is no heat or air conditioning throughout our facility. Our facility will be extremely HOT in the summer and extremely COLD in the winter. Please dress according to the weather.
- You may bring non-alcoholic beverages with you for hydration.
- No open-toed shoes or heels please.
- The front gate is opened 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the first tour, and locked at the same time the last tour begins.
- Pets are welcome to attend a guided day tour with you as long as they are friendly toward other animals and people, quiet, and if they make a “mess,” it is up to you for clean up.
- All tickets and payments are non-refundable. If you cannot make your scheduled tour, please call 304-845-6200 or email [email protected] We are happy to transfer your tickets to another date or time during the operating season. History Mystery Monday tickets may only be transferred to another Monday. Tuesday through Sunday tickets may only be transferred to another Tuesday through Sunday.