Introducing West Virginia Penitentiary’s Photography Tour! This is not a guided tour; you can roam at your own pace and leisure.
GUIDED DAY TOURS
OPEN APRIL 2ND THROUGH NOVEMBER 30TH
- December 1st through April 2nd
- CLOSED FOR ALL TOURS
- School trips and group tours may book after the schedule is released
- Please note there is new pricing for 2024
- Senior 55 years of age and older
- Child Ages 6 to 16
Historical Day Tours
Your 90-minute guided tour consists of astonishing history, a touch of art, cold hard facts, and an insight into the justice system.
- Historical Day Tours – See above for hours or click the Book Now button for a complete schedule.
- During the operating season, we book large school field trips and large bus groups. The only way to guarantee you a tour time is if you book online.
- April 2nd through November 30th
- The gate opens 15 minutes before the first tour of the day. The front gate is locked at the time the last tour begins and the gift shop will be closed at that time.
- Walk through this Gothic-style structure in amazement and wonder why you did not visit sooner!
- Visit the recreation yards, both visitation rooms, and the new cafeteria that resulted from the riot of 1986.
- Take a walk through our cell blocks, “The Alamo,” which once housed the most dangerous and violent inmates, and “New Wall,” where you just might get LOCKED UP! Cameras are allowed and encouraged!!
- This tour will NOT take you through the Sugar Shack, the Boiler Room, or the Psych Ward/Infirmary. Access to these areas are limited to the History Mystery Monday tours in the Summer and the Paranormal Tours. The Administration building is closed off to everyone.
History Mystery Monday Tours
- Only available on Mondays during the months of June, July, and August.
- This tour is a fast-paced tour that involves climbing several staircases and covers a large portion of areas not accessible Tuesday through Sunday.
- This tour is NOT wheelchair or stroller accessible.
- We do not recommend this tour for younger children.
- The History Mystery Monday tour focuses on the historical and paranormal aspects of the facility.
- History Mystery Mondays cost $16 per person.
- We do not offer discounts for this tour.
- Call our office at 304-845-6200 to arrange your group tour. Group tours are not a private tour.
- Group discounts are offered for groups of 20 or more.
- During the month of April school groups of 20 students or more can take advantage of our 50% per student discount.
- Discounts are valid for our guided historical day tours and not offered for History Mystery Mondays, Paranormal Investigations, or Halloween events.
General Information About Day Tours
- Our main office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00a – 4:00p. Our office is closed Saturday and Sunday. Phone calls are always welcome, please leave a voicemail and we will return your call. You may also email [email protected] with any questions.
- There is no heat or air conditioning throughout our facility. Our facility will be extremely HOT in the summer and extremely COLD in the winter. Please dress according to the weather.
- Please bring non-alcoholic beverages with you for hydration especially during the warm months.
- No open-toed shoes or heels please.
- The front gate is opened 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the first tour, and locked at the same time the last tour begins.
- Pets are welcome to attend a guided day tour with you as long as they are friendly toward other animals and people, quiet, and if they make a “mess,” it is up to you for clean up. Please do not bring your pets with you while attending any paranormal tour, the Dungeon of Horrors, or the North Walk.
- All tickets and payments are non-refundable. If you cannot make your scheduled tour, please call 304-845-6200 or email [email protected]. We are happy to transfer your tickets to another date or time during the operating season. History Mystery Monday tickets may only be transferred to another Monday. Tuesday through Sunday tickets may only be transferred to another Tuesday through Sunday.